Are you looking for a fun design a playground project for Year 1? This cross-curricular ‘Design a Playground’ PBL covers different topics from English, Maths, Science and HASS.
You will get:
- A student booklet (printable/ Google Slides with text boxes) including student checklist and teacher answers.
- A teacher planner which includes 10 cross-curricular activities, teaching tips, Learning Intention and Success Criteria posters, a ‘Playground Inspector’ crown for students to wear.
Your students will love inspecting their school playground (with their Playground Inspector headbands!) and completing a range of tasks including:
- Measuring the playground using informal units
- Identifying push and pull forces in the playground
- Surveying their classmates to see which pieces of playground equipment are the most popular
- Displaying the results of their survey in a graph
- Expressing their preferences in the playground
- Identifying natural, managed and constructed features
- Choosing their playground equipment and totalling the cost
- Design a playground using their classmates preferences and purchased equipment.
- Identify who cares for our school playground and how we can care for our playgrounds
- Give directions for other students to move from one place to another within their playground design
- Writing a letter to the principal regarding the school playground and making a suggestion for a change.
This PBL aligns with the Australian Curriculum V9 for Year 1, but is relevant learning for Grade 1 students in many different settings.
You may like to use this PBL as:
- A fun project to span a term and integrate across curriculum
- A term-long homework project
- A fast finishers’ project
This PBL is ready to print and go! Save time planning and begin this fun project today!